Dehydrated foods are not what comes to mind when most people think of delicious snacks, but their value and flavor should not be underestimated.
Beef jerky is one of my favorite foods. Its chewy texture, absurd salt content, and overpowering spice and sweetness make it a great accompaniment for sitting in front of the TV watching inane product review videos on YouTube.
Beef jerky is also insanely expensive, upwards of $25-30 per pound, in most regions. That’s on-par with fresh lobster and filet mignon, but jerky is made from the cheap cuts.
I always thought I needed a fancy or expensive dehydrator to get the jerky experience at home, but that is inaccurate.
Amazing jerky can be made straight from your home oven, and I highly recommend doing so.
It’s time to get off your ass, get to the grocery store, and get to making some sweet and spicy jerky in your oven.
• ½ lb beef top round, sliced thin
• 1/3 c Worcestershire sauce
• 1/3 c soy sauce
• 1/3 c brown sugar
• ½ t crushed red pepper flakes
• 1 T garlic powder
• 1 T onion powder
• 1 T paprika
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika and whisk together until combined.
2. Dip each thin slice of top round individually into the marinade to ensure full coating. Leave marinated beef in the bowl and place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
3. Remove the marinated beef and dry off between layers of paper towels, removing as much moisture as possible.
4. Pre-heat your oven to 170 ° F.
5. Place beef strips on a wire rack in a sheet pan and bake for 3-4 hours.
6. Remove the sheet pan from the oven, allow jerky to cool and then cut into bite-sized pieces with a pair of scissors and store in a jar or zip top bag.