The beginning breezes that mark the transition from Summer into Fall have started and now the season of soup is upon us.
This spicy, savory, tomato-y blend of sausage and vegetables is sure to make you feel all warm inside.
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas
- 3 C chicken stock
- 2 C celery, chopped
- 2 C carrots, chopped
- 4 spicy sausage links, chopped
- 2 T garlic, minced
- 1 T salt
- 1 T pepper
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- 1 t turmeric
- 1 t garam masala
- 1 t coriander powder
- 1 t cumin powder
- 1 t ginger
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t onion powder
- Sauté sausage in a pan over medium high heat until browned.
- Remove sausage from pan and set aside. In the same pan, dump in celery, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, and all the spices. Let the vegetables sweat until semi-translucent.
- Add in tomato paste and cook for a few minutes until well- combined.
- Add in diced tomatoes and liquid as well as the chicken stock.
- Drain chickpeas and rinse in a colander until the water runs clear.
- Stir cooked sausage and drained chickpeas into the soup.
- Cover, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer the soup for 45 minutes to an hour and serve immediately with crackers or crusty bread.