Aside from being one of the two best choices of appetizer at a nice restaurant (the other being charcuterie & cheese boards), flatbreads are an amazing way to use up leftovers. They can be loaded with meat, vegetarian, or even vegan depending on the chosen ingredients.
Personally, I’ve always liked sweet potato as a topping. I’ve often used it in chili, vegetarian burritos, and now I’ve moved onto using it for flatbreads as well.
When I get home from work and I forgot to leave meat in the refrigerator to defrost, vegetarian meals are a great option. Toss in the right blend of spices and you have yourself a fantastic, filling, flavorful meal.
I tend to overuse Indian spices because they all work together so harmoniously and give a great depth of flavor to any and all dishes, but I feel especially justified here as the rich, cheesy base needs some smokey, spicy complexity to break up the unctuous monotony.
If you’re looking for a vegetarian meal that’s easy to prepare and satisfying, read on to find out how to make my amazing Indian Spiced Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion Flatbread!
- 1 large vidalia onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 chili pepper
- 1 store bought flatbread or pizza dough (I prefer Wewalka brand)
- 1 small sweet potato
- ¼ C cream cheese, softened
- ½ C shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 1 t granulated garlic
- 1 t coriander powder
- 1 t turmeric powder
- 1 t garam masala
- 1 t chat masala
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t ginger powder
- ½ t dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 t olive oil
- 1 T ghee or butter
- Dice the onion and peppers into equal-sized chunks.
- In a large skillet, heat ghee or butter until melted and add onions and a pinch of salt. Cook the onion over low – medium low heat until broken down and caramelized.
- Add peppers and half of all spices to the onions and continue cooking over low heat until the peppers are softened. Set aside the pan on an unused burner to cool.
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel the skin off of the sweet potato and then use the peeler to break down the sweet potato into many thin ribbons.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the olive oil with the sweet potato ribbons and the other half of all the spices listed above. Toss until the sweet potato ribbons are evenly covered with oil and spices.
- Unroll your flatbread or pizza dough onto a piece of wax paper and place on a flat sheet pan.
- Spread the softened cream cheese over the dough and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Place the onion and pepper mixture on top and spread it out as uniformly as possible.
- Place the sweet potato ribbons like pepperoni slices all over the flatbread in whatever pattern looks best to you.
- Bake the flatbread for 20-25 minutes, or until the flatbread is crispy, the cheese melts, and the sweet potato begins to char around the edges.
- Slice and enjoy on its own, or serve with tamarind chutney, mango chutney, or a yogurt sauce.