If you want something spicy, sweet, and filling that reminds you of island life in the dead of winter, then try out this delicious jerk shrimp with fried plantains recipe.
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled
- 1 large, ripe plantain
- 8 T vegetable, corn, coconut, or peanut oil
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T ground ginger
- 1 T dried thyme
- 1 t ground black pepper
- 1 t kosher salt
- ½ T ground cinnamon
- 1 T ground all spice
- 1 T smoked paprika
- ½ T ground nutmeg
- 3 T brown sugar
- Cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, and chili powder, to desired hotness
- Combine all of the jerk rub ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk until well combined, breaking up any large chunks of brown sugar
- Add the raw shrimp and 2 tablespoons of oil to the mixing bowl. Stir with a large spoon until all of the shrimp is evenly coated with the spice mixture.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a wok or dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a cast iron or grill pan.
- Peel the plantain and cut on a diagonal bias into equal sized pieces.
- Once the oil is hot, fry the plantain chunks until browned on both sides. Set aside to drain on a plate covered in paper towels.
- Pan fry the shrimp in the other pan until it just starts becoming opaque. Over-cooked shrimp is disgusting, so be careful.
- Serve and enjoy.