While normally I’m a die-hard carnivore, these garlicky, cheesy, delicious parmesan zucchini cakes are the perfect dinner to add a little variety to your weeknight meal plans.
- 2 C chopped zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 2 C plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 C parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ C Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1 t parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 T olive oil
- Process the chopped zucchini to your liking. You can either use a box grater or a food processor. I personally prefer the food processor because I like the smoother texture, but if you prefer grated vegetables, they’ll both work in the recipe.
- Wrap the processed zucchini in paper towels, a kitchen towel, or cheese cloth and go through a few rounds of wringing out all the water into the sink. Try and get the mixture as dry as possible to help the patties stay together better while cooking.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the olive oil. Mix well with your hands until everything is well incorporated, but do not overmix as this will create cakes that are too dense.
- Form into 3-inch diameter patties and place on a plate.
- Heat a large skillet and drizzle in the 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat.
- Fry the patties in batches without overcrowding the pan until golden brown on both sides and cook through.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice. I usually choose to serve these with a good buttermilk ranch, if you’d like to keep it simple. The dipping sauce is up to you.