In the summer, grilling is king. Everyone wants to be outside in the sunshine, drinking booze and showing off their beautiful beer guts that they did nothing to improve over the winter.
In that kind of heat, however, hot foods can seem heavy and unappetizing. As the gnats buzz around your head and the ultraviolet rays toast your skin, there is a need for a cool, refreshing bite between tequila shots.
This bean and corn salad is the perfect accompaniment to any social gathering based around food. It’s also equally good while naked and standing in front the fridge at 2am, eating with your bare hands.
- 2 cans corn
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 an onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 chili pepper or jalapeño
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 limes
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 T ground cumin
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 4 T hot sauce
- 1 T sugar
- 2 T fresh cilantro
- 1 T vegetable oil
- Empty the cans of corn and beans into a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water, allow to drain completely.
- Chop onion, bell pepper, garlic, and chili pepper into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle peppers, garlic, and onion with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté in the skillet until translucent and cooked through.
- Remove peppers, garlic, and onion from skillet and allow to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, juice of 2 limes, Dijon mustard, cumin, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and sugar until emulsified.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine peppers, garlic, onion, corn, beans and dressing.
- Add freshly chopped cilantro.
- Mix until well combined an allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but the longer the better.
- Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.